Denver Negligent Security Attorney
Thousands of people in the U.S. fall victim to negligent security, leading to criminal acts such as assault, robbery, shootings, purse snatching, rape, and other incidents that cause emotional injury, physical injury, and death. Many of these criminal acts are due to inadequate or negligent security by property owners who fail to take reasonable measures to secure or protect visitors and clients.
Under the premises liability law, the property owner can be held liable for the injured victims. If you were attacked or assaulted on a business property or facility, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation for injuries and damages. It is important to seek the help of an experienced personal injury attorney.
The Denver personal injury attorneys at the law offices of The Law Firm of Lonn Heymann, are committed to pursuing compensation for victims who are wrongfully injured in negligent security cases. Our attorneys understand the complex laws of negligent security and premises liability. We will meticulously investigate your case, arduously work to determine the cause, and pursue justice on your behalf.
The following are common places where negligent security can occur:
- Shopping malls
- Bank or ATM kiosks
- College campus
- Hospitals and nursing homes
- Hotels and motels
Criminal Assaults Due to Inadequate Security
Over the past 10 years, claims against companies for injuries resulting from the criminal violence of third parties due to inadequate security have dramatically increased. Owners and occupiers of land have a duty to prevent foreseeable crimes on their property. In especially high crime areas, hotels and bars may have a duty to warn customers about the amount of crime in the neighborhood and stress the importance to customers of taking extra safety precautions to protect themselves against being a victim of violent crime.
Businesses in these high crime areas should take reasonable precautions, such as including security systems and security gates, installing proper locking devices on doors, surveillance and alarm systems, and sometimes even hiring security guards, to protect against violent crimes occurring on their property.
Individuals who commit rape, armed robbery or murder are often not apprehended, and even when they are, they are usually judgment proof. For these reasons, victims are seeking compensation for their injuries from the employer or landowner. A recent study of inadequate security claims throughout the United States found that 56% of these claims were residential apartment owners, hotel and motel owners. The remaining 44% of claims were against retail owners, restaurants, bars and a few other types of businesses. Victims of criminal assaults due to inadequate security should consult an attorney to handle the legal issues involved in an inadequate security claim and to protect their interests.
If you believe you were injured because of negligent security, contact our Denver personal injury attorneys to schedule a free initial consultation. We will help you pursue compensation for injuries and damages. We will aggressively represent you in court.