Are You Suffering From Burn Injuries? Our Attorneys Are Here to Help
Bringing excruciating pain and expensive medical treatments, a serious burn is one of the worst injuries a person can suffer. In some cases, burns result from the injured person’s carelessness. But in other cases, they result from the negligence of other individuals, employers, public service entities, or product manufacturers, entitling the injured to seek compensation through a burn injury lawyer. But before you seek compensation, it’s important to determine whether your injuries result from another party’s negligence.
Determining who is Legally at Fault
To receive compensation for your injuries, they must result from another party’s negligence, which is defined as the failure to use reasonable care. Under Colorado law, our experienced lawyers will prove the following to establish your case:
• The existence of a duty owed to you by the party that caused your injury
• The party that caused your injury did not carry out that duty
• The party’s failure to carry out that duty caused your injury
• You suffered damages
In some instances, determining who is responsible for burn injuries results in the discovery that the plaintiff is partly responsible. Even when this is the case, our lawyers can win you compensation under Colorado’s comparative negligence law, which establishes that, as long as the plaintiff is responsible for less than 50% of the combined fault that caused the burn injuries, he or she can collect damages in proportion to the other party’s fault in the incident. If more than one party is judged negligent, each party pays a proportional amount of the total damages.
A. Consumer Product Injuries
The theory of negligence applies to injuries caused by parties that did not take “care” to prevent a situation that caused injury. But injuries resulting from consumer products can be pursued under “strict liability” theory, which our lawyers will establish by proving the following:
• The product was made unreasonably dangerous due to its defectiveness
• You used the product in the correct manner
• The product’s defectiveness caused your injury
• You suffered damages
How to Strengthen and Expedite Your Case
Although advertisements for injury lawyers make it seem as if a case’s success depends solely on lawyers, there are some things that you can do to help us strengthen your case:
• Write down everything you remember about how your injury occurred
• Record information about parties to the injury, such as the names, addresses, and phone numbers of witnesses, police officers, and insurance company representatives or workers’ compensation representatives
• Avoid making statements in speech or writing to insurance representatives or workers’ compensation representatives before speaking with our attorneys
• Do not tell the party responsible for the injury that you will be filing a claim
• Preserve evidence relating to your injuries, such as by photographing your injuries and preserving clothing worn at the time of the injury
Taking these steps will help our attorneys expedite your case and get you the compensation you deserve.
How Much Compensation Will You Receive?
Our attorneys will stop at nothing to win you the compensation you deserve. Under Colorado law, the party responsible for your injury is required to pay for the following:
• Past, current, and future medical expenses associated with the injury
• Time lost from work for any reason pertaining to the injury
• Personal property that was damaged when you received the injury
• The cost of housecleaning services if you are unable to perform upkeep
• Permanent disfigurement or disability
• Emotional distress, including clinical findings such as depression and anxiety
• A change in your earning ability as a result of the injury
• Any additional costs that result directly from your injury
If you are suffering form burn injuries that are not your fault, the time to contact a burn injury lawyer is now. Under Colorado law, you have two years to file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires. By consulting with our lawyers today, you can negotiate a settlement that reflects the seriousness of your injuries. Or, if a proper settlement is unreachable, our lawyers will win you the compensation you deserve in court.